6.21.2011

Welcome to Alaska, Where the Playa's Play.

Welcome to Alaska. I really do like it here. It is a little harder to get used to because we only have our one car and my dad's business car so it can sometimes feel like you are in a never-ending prison (due to the lack of night...) but regardless its beautiful up here.

The definite worst part is the actual trip. With a three hour layover in Seattle, the flight to Fairbanks does not get in until midnight. The the trip back is even worse because the safest flight goes out at midnight, ands in Seattle around 6am and then a five hour layover until around noon... FIVE HOURS! No bueno. Luckily my awesome father got me on the 6am flight out with just an hour layover until that noon take off. The only reason you don't always take it is because they can cut it pretty close. Here's hoping.

This trip has already been best because my dad got me upgraded to first class... for the first time in my life! I personally cannot fathom spending my own hard earned money on something like first class but let me tell you... might be worth it.... One words: Glasses.


Actual glasses, for my apple juice! And thennnn..... you also get free alcohol! That's right. So the only thing I could think of  (besides: "What do you have on tap?") was to order a vodka cranberry:


Delicious. Also I was served some salad (perfect), tomato soup (would have been actually perfect had I not indulged in that for my lunch before I left for the airport!!), and some sliced tomatoes. Just great. This is where some hypnotizing would come in handy...

Unfortunately I was back to coach on my second flight and I was little more worn for the ride on that one:


So on Sunday in Fairbanks they have this big 'festival' called the Summer Solstice where it runs all day and night long. I put festival in quotations because it was the sketchiest most run down set up I've seen in a while. And that includes the Sumter County Fair in South Carolina...



Although I did get some cotton candy and a really cool turquoise ring, so I guess not all was lost. It was fun to walk around and see all the different tents and venues but I honestly get so paranoid at places like that where a lot of people are crowded into one dirty, urban place. Freaks me out.


We went with some neighbors as well and it was literally like herding cattle trying to keep everyone together. One of the guys got garlic and parmesan french fires from a tent (who could resist?) and ending up pawning them off on me because they were so strong. Of course I was in meltdown mode so those fries could not enter my mouth fast enough.. but I quickly regretted that choice because the garlic was so immense I couldn't end stand myself.

We went to dinner at a small restaurant known as the "Elf's Den" for dinner. You walk into this shabby hut (right next to Santa Claus's house, no joke) and right at the front entrance is a picture of Guy Fieri from Minute to Win It but he originally did food stuff (whatever) and he signed a poster of himself for the place... so it must be good, right?

Wrong. Not very good. But we had a fun time and I was at the kid's end with the little 4 year-old, Lily, who was hilarious and slipped right out of her rollie chair because she was wiggling too much whilst trying to place her chicken tender order. One minute I hear "I want the chic..." Then the next minute she feet up on the floor. So funny and sad at the same time.... luckily she thought it was funny.

On the way home we saw a momma and baby moose.... Great first day :)



Boom. Alaska-ed....posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment