Now here is a somewhat side note. The in person class I just started 3 weeks ago is Self-Management Techniques and its 4 hours every Thursday with a room of about 12 people, twice my age. In this class the whole grade is based on our self-management project that we chose in order to better ourselves. What do I pick every time I ned some self-adjustment... to cease procrastination. Without fail that is what I choose and ironically I wait until the last minute to put it into effect.
Well I had a great elaborate plan of using my new techniques to work on this paper but things were already on a rocky start when I realized around March 24th that the paper was not due May 6th like I thought... it was due April 10th. First mistake. Second mistake was that I knew my parents were coming into town that whole week before and I would get nothing school wise done (but everything that had to do with house fixing). My parents leave, I have dozen of opportunities to begin, I do not wait until Saturday to go to the public library, and furiously tap this thing out.
I had never been to this library, before other than to donate books, but I knew I would hate the atmosphere so much that it would force me to not be distracted and work as fast as I could. Lucy came to study as well and boy was she prepared with her ear plugs AND noise canceling headphones... I was beyond jealous considering I was forced to listen to a very old man hack up a lung every 10 minutes like clockwork. The whole time I was 'enjoying' the library folk I was thinking of how I should be capturing every moment so I had a list up that I continually added to as the hours slowly passed.
Here is the list and I will explain the bullets later:
- Man with avatar ponytail. Cradles it behind his back while browsing.
- Man hacking up a lung every 10 minutes
- Woman disinfecting computer area. Purple schrunchie. Probable cat t-shirt. Folds lysol wipe after use. Looking up Tucson vacation rentals.
- Guy in neck brace.
- Little girl rearranging bookmarks.
- Mariachi band
- Teen girl may or may not be watching something rated NC-17. Looks over shoulder every few seconds. Screen brightness is at an all time low...
- Girl running around with a pocket full of tictacs.
Okay let's start with the beginning. I am just getting situated, setting up my notebook and articles and what not. Man walks by looking rather clean cut (well as far as a library regular can be) from the front, turns the corner only to display the never ending party in the back that consists of a braid going all the way down to his vertical smile, butt that is. It was an avatar braid and if you haven't seen the movie I apologize because I just cannot find a good enough picture to capture the essence of this braid. Awful.
After that a woman walks over to the computer table next to me. Sits down and immediately pulls out a Lysol wipe and disinfects the entire area... leaving nothing to chance. And then continues to fold aforementioned wipe and places it meticulously next to the keyboard which she finally renders safe to touch. I almost wanted to yell out STOP! just to freak her out. Then she spends the whole time looking up rental locations in Tucson... strange.
A guy in a neck brace just casually walks by, clearly in pain but not enough to skip out on library day.
Three little girls then show up at the magazine rack. One of them has a pocketful of tictacs or something because she is running around and it sounds like hail hitting the windows. Then another one insists on rearranging all the bookmarks, one at a time, putting them in their appropriate locations.
Oh and did I forget to mention, Saturday is "Hey, guess what? The Mariachi band is going to play for an hour" day? Yeah, it is.
But the award for the biggest library weirdo goes to this teenage girl who was originally watching Pretty Little Liars on YouTube, now has her screen brightness all the way down and is continuously looking over at me to see if I can see watch she is watching... I couldn't and I think I may be glad of that.
All in all it was successful because I did finally finish my paper and also got my own library card... its an exclusive deal. It was a nice place to study, but it would have been better had I come as prepared as Lucy.
Boom. Posted.

No comments:
Post a Comment