5.30.2012

A Year Without 'Poo.. Shampoo That Is.


So I seriously just looked up in my calendar when I stopped using shampoo and it was actually almost 2 years (September 25, 2010) since I used brand name, chemical filled, and hair debilitating shampoo. Now this story has a happy ending for you, the disgusted reader, because I have to wash my hair here in Indiana... the humidity causes to much grunge.

It all started while I was getting my Master's and stuck at home all the time. Pinterest.com & stumbleupon.com became my new best friends, not to mention this blog! So there I was, stumbling away, when I came across a blog about the 'no poo' method. I was intrigued. You see, as unhealthy as I am, I wish I could be some all-natural, people loving, healthy eating, free love hippie... really! So I was interested to see how this 'no poo' idea would turn out. What did I have to lose? I was in a long distance relationship-- didn't have to smell good, wasn't working full time-- didn't have to dress up, nor was I ever working out-- no sweat to deal with! Perfect timing for an experiment.
This was a little too much grunge
Now if you were to read up on any of the no shampoo blogs, you would know that the first 2-4 weeks are a trying time. The lack of shampoo kind of turns your hair into a greaseball right off the bat. You also really need the perfect conditions to attack the 'no poo' lifestyle and grab it by the horns. I have complied a list of important factors if you are contemplating starting your own 'no poo' challenge:

1. Have no life-- preferably you should be in a long distance relationship and live with your grandma.

(Honestly #1 is cracking me up so much right now I am tempted to just leave it at that!)

2. Have no job-- Okay well no full time job at least, you can work 4 hours a week at your neighborhood golf course.

3. Live in Arizona --The dry heat really does wonders in zapping out grease, but don't stay out in the heat for more than an hour for fear of sweating.

4. Live 30 minutes away from friends --this really locks in any need to consider maintaining a social life and will insure Friday nights home with your own bottle of wine.

5. Ignore the haters-- Haters gonna hate, okay? We all know this. But even some of your closest friends will turn on you and your new lifestyle. Be prepared to defend your beliefs! (Lyndsie, Lucy, Amy, & Briana!) Also, when you do see your boyfriend once a month, he may think you are a little stinky... but don't let that deter you from your mission!

So there are you 5 easy steps. Also you need: long wavy hair, naturally not very much grease, and be able to do your hair in 15 minutes. 
This was a perfect amount of Grunge! Look how voluminous.
All you do is ditch the shampoo, wet your hair and massage it like you would if you were shampooing it (but you AREN'T!), put some conditioner on the ends, and boom! You're ready for the world, or the couch... whatever, I'm not one to judge.

Really, that's all there is to it! Your hair may be a little greasy around your face but there are many different remedies for that, many include baking soda. I would just suds up some of my bar of soap and rub that around my hairline.

Your hair will develop what I like to call a 'grunge' feel. Once you get used to it, your hair will be so manageable (no more hair falling in your face!) and it will have so much natural volume.

Don't hate it until you try it.. or do... I don't care... I'm just trying to make some money. Or wait, I don't get paid for this??

Boom. Posted.


No comments:

Post a Comment