That was how I was feeling yesterday around 4pm Eastern Standard Time. Yesterday was the much anticipated Indiana 500 race which is apparently something of value to the Hoosiers, er I mean, 'us Hoosiers'.
If you know me very well, or even a little bit at all, then you know if I don't like something that is going on you're more than likely going to hear about it. Now this is something I have been working on fixing for many years and I honestly think I am getting better! But when lack of sleep is also factor, then it goes all down hill.. and quickly. So when I was informed that we would not only be attending the Indy500 (crowds, loud noises, hot sun & humidity, random people I don't know, and alcohol are all on the list of 'no thank you' for me now) but waking up at 4:30am to beat traffic... I gritted my teeth and put on my happy face, braced for the upcoming day.
Everything was going smoothly until about 2 miles away from the 'Coke Lot' (which I am hoping is referring to the beverage but never actually verified this) parking lot, when the traffic wasn't just slow, but completely standstill. We were stopped in the left lane trying to turn at the light for literrally an hour. The car was parked and off and the boys ran to go get McDonalds. Then once we made it through the light, there was another hour's wait through this neighborhood. The neighborhood, however, was full of 'lawn-sitters' with big "Parking for $10" signs out front so you could park on their grass lawns. Easily their biggest money maker of the year as each yard could park about 4 cars... a whole 40 bucks, woo!
We found a yard to back up into, lugged all of our crap to the track (it was at this point that I realized infield meant literally "in the middle of the track field"), and discussed where to set up camp. There is this really 'great little family-oriented, quiet, peaceful, and spacious' area on the 4th turn called the Snake Pit, and that's where we decided to set up camp. The Snake Pit is actually not described by the aforementioned adjectives. It was loud, crowded, raunchy and full of America's finest. BUT I had ear plugs, sunscreen, and a blanket... so all was good.
Close to the beginning of the race (did I mention that it was 8am and the race didn't start until noon?), we moved up to one of the grass mounds surrounding the litteral 'pit of snakes'. From there we could see the all the latecomers hauling their beer and sporting their 'USA' shirts with their Daisy Duke shorts... and those were the guys! One guy had on an American flag speedo and was using a dolly to push two, that's right TWO, kegs. That's dedication.
After a a little while, the empty space of grass to the left of us started to fill up with about 20 guys, each with a 40 pack of beer. Apparently it was a bachelor party and they had the HOOK UP. Canopy tent, 20 cases of beer, squirt guns, chairs, a pink inflatable kiddie pool for a cooler, and lots of charisma.
Blake and Ryan quickly planned how to get an in just in case our supply ran dry. Those guys definitely made the experience 'All American'. So the race started and the party continued. Some DJ was there and the rednecks were plenty. About 20 laps to go and it was time for us to go. We packed up and headed home, only to pass out on the couch for a few hours. I seriously had to google who had won. Then we watched the whole race on television, like we hadn't been there the whole freaking day!
It was a fun filled day but trekking it to the races was a one time experience and the Indy500 infield is crossed right off the list!
Boom. America....
Posted.

I can see the joy in your face...oo Lauren, you poor thing! hahah
ReplyDeleteHahah yeah, it was rough! You can come if I am forced next year :)
ReplyDelete